The Old Tobacco Barns

A day or two ago Larry Gray, who grew up in my neck of the woods wrote something about tobacco barns and it made me think about my youth as well. Not until this evening did it settle in my heart of those days as I stood in a light drizzle. I was under the trees along the edge of my yard out of the rain as the day subsided and the dark of night came upon me. The contrasts of light and dark, the fullness of the leaves in the trees. The sound of raindrops falling through those leaves and dripping to the ground. I could see the small droplets of rain falling out in the open area of the yard. It reminded me of the times on the farm when work had ceased for the day, tobacco was curing in the barns and you could smell the aroma of the drying leaves.

Many times toward the end of summer I would go sit under the tin roofed shelter that ran between the barns where perhaps a couple of weeks before the hustle and bustle of women running on about how so and so was such a hussy or who’s husband stayed out drinking all the weekend was the talk of the day. I’m sure there was talk about missing their favorite soap opera. There were the typical horn worms and snakes, dead of course, left in the tobacco trucks by the field hands to scare these women out of their wits.

But now there was quiet. Just the sound of rain on the tin roof. My dad, would lay tobacco sticks up in the racks near the top and would put quilts on them so he could go out there and sleep at night sometimes so he could be close to the curing tobacco. I don’t know why for sure. I could see it if it were even earlier times when the curing process was done by wood. By then it was done by LP gas.

As I crawled up on dad’s homemade bed I took in all that was nature around me. The squirrels that played around in the pines next to the shelter were always amusing. I could see off in the woods not too far away our hogs foraging for something to eat. We kept them fenced in through the woods behind the house. I could hear the guineas making noise off across the big ditch down in the field. Occasionally I would see a deer wandering across the field heading for the field over on Uncle Snodie’s farm.

Quiet time under the shelter and the tobacco barns was always a place to connect with nature.

About Jim

I'm a 72 yr old guy, who had worked in Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune for 28 yrs and now retired as of 31 Dec 16. I've worked in medical records, Health Benefits Department, Billing, the IT department and retired as the Personnel Security Manager for the hospital. I'm a musician and Corvette enthusiast. Yes, I have had two. I traded my second Corvette for a Harley Davidson Fat Boy mid-summer 2019. I've already ridden about seven thousand miles. I'm also searching for a fresh new outlook on life with new spiritual insight among other things. I was ordained a minister on 20190202. I've become certified with the American Chaplaincy Association through Aidan University in June '21. I've found that with the unconditional love of my companion, Libby Rowe life is complete through God. She's a beautiful, vibrant, giving woman who gives her all in everything she puts her mind to do. She and I married on 24 July 2015. She was ordained in February 2022. She has a blog too called Under a Carolina Moon. Give it a visit.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to The Old Tobacco Barns

  1. lifeunderacarolinamoon says:

    Having worked under tin roofed tobacco barns and reading your story made me feel like I was there again. Good memories…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.